Knives at the slicing Edge is a culinary pilgrimage that examines the different present and significant megatrends reminiscent of the increase of star cooks, the fit consuming circulation, and the transforming into emergence of bolder flavors in connoisseur meals. via visits to a number of the world's maximum eating places, Bob Macdonald offers anecdotes, own insights, and thoughts that demystify the eating adventure and make ordering wine at a restaurant an relaxing pastime instead of an impressive ordeal.
This full-color commute advisor contains shiny images and priceless maps throughout.
By Patrick Leigh Fermor
The Mani, on the tip of Greece’s—and Europe’s—southernmost promontory, is without doubt one of the so much remoted areas of the realm. bring to an end from the remainder of the rustic via the towering variety of the Taygetus and hemmed in by way of the Aegean and Ionian seas, it's a land the place the earlier is nonetheless greatly part of its people’s day-by-day lives.
Patrick Leigh Fermor, who has been defined as “a move among Indiana Jones, James Bond, and Graham Greene,” bridges the genres of experience tale, trip writing, and memoir to bare an old international dwelling along the 20 th century. the following, within the booklet that proven his acceptance as one of many English language’s best writers of prose, Patrick Leigh Fermor incorporates the reader with him on his trips one of the Greeks of the mountains, exploring their historical past and regularly occurring lore.
Mani is a better half quantity to Patrick Leigh Fermor’s celebrated Roumeli: Travels in Northern Greece.
Fodor’s correspondents spotlight the simplest of Croatia, together with Dubrovnik's outdated city, Istria's vineyards, and the Dalmatian coast's scenic seashores and cities. Our neighborhood specialists vet each suggestion to make sure you utilize it slow, even if it’s your first journey or your 5th. 
MUST-SEE sights from Hvar to Zagreb
ideal lodges for each funds
most sensible eating places to meet a number tastes
necessary positive factors on meals, wine, and sailing
useful tips about while to head and how one can save
INSIDER viewpoint from neighborhood experts
MAPS AND colour images to motivate and consultant your trip
By Lonely Planet
Lonely Planet: The world's top shuttle consultant publisher
Lonely Planet Washington, DC is your passport to the main correct, updated suggestion on what to determine and pass, and what hidden discoveries look ahead to you. Spend hours below the spell of the Smithsonian Institution's many museums, see the monuments and memorials lit up at evening, or store alongside old Georgetown's cobbled lanes; all together with your relied on go back and forth better half. Get to the center of Washington, DC and start your trip now!
Inside Lonely Planet Washington, DC shuttle Guide:
- Full-color maps and photographs all through
- Highlights and itineraries assist you tailor your journey in your own wishes and pursuits
- Insider tips to avoid wasting time and cash and get round like an area, fending off crowds and bother spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - hours of operation, cell numbers, web pages, transit advice, costs
- Honest studies for all budgets - consuming, dozing, sight-seeing, going out, procuring, hidden gemstones that the majority guidebooks pass over
- Cultural insights provide you with a richer, extra worthwhile go back and forth event - together with historical past, politics, arts, media, structure, activities, delicacies, leisure, and extra.
- Free, handy pull-out Washington, DC map (included in print version), plus over 35 colour local maps
- Covers nationwide Mall, Foggy backside, the White apartment, Georgetown, Capitol Hill, Downtown, Dupont Circle, Adams-Morgan, U road, Columbia Heights, Southeast, Northeast, Northwest, Northern Virginia, and extra
The ideal selection: Lonely Planet Washington, DC, our such a lot finished advisor to Washington, DC is ideal for either exploring best attractions and taking roads much less traveled.
- Looking for extra large assurance? try out our Lonely Planet japanese USA guide for a accomplished examine all of the quarter has to supply.
Authors: Written and researched by means of Lonely Planet.
About Lonely Planet: Since 1973, Lonely Planet has develop into the world's best trip media corporation with guidebooks to each vacation spot, an award-winning web site, cellular and electronic trip items, and a devoted traveller group. Lonely Planet covers must-see spots but additionally allows curious tourists to get off overwhelmed paths to appreciate extra of the tradition of the locations during which they locate themselves.
Download E-books The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks PDF
By Susan Casey
A journalist's obsession brings her to a distant island off the California coast, domestic to the world's such a lot mysterious and fearsome predators--and the unusual band of surfer-scientists who stick with them
Susan Casey used to be in her front room whilst she first observed the good white sharks of the Farallon Islands, their darkish fins swirling round a small motorboat in a documentary. those sharks have been the alphas between alphas, a few longer than twenty toes, and there have been too many to count number; much more exceptional, this congregation was once happening simply twenty-seven miles off the coast of San Francisco.
In an issue of months, Casey was once being hoisted out of the early-winter swells on a crane, up a cliff face to the barren floor of Southeast Farallon Island-dubbed by way of sailors within the 1850s the "devil's teeth." There she joined Scot Anderson and Peter Pyle, the 2 biologists who bunk down in the course of shark season every one fall within the island's one liveable development, a haunted, 135-year-old residence spackled with lichen and gull guano. days later, she acquired her first glimpse of the recognized, terrifying jaws up shut and she or he used to be immediately hooked; her fascination quickly yielded to obsession-and a call for participation to come back for an entire season. yet as Casey readied herself for the eight-week stint, she had no method of getting ready for what she could locate one of the harmful, forgotten islands that experience banished each crusade for civilization some time past 200 years.
The Devil's Teeth is a vibrant dispatch from an otherworldly outpost, a narrative of crossing the boundary among society and an untamed position the place people are neither sought after nor needed.
By Regis St Louis, Sarah Gilbert, Paul Harding
Lonely Planet: The world's best go back and forth consultant publisher
Lonely Planet East Coast Australia is your passport to the entire such a lot appropriate and updated recommendation on what to determine, what to pass, and what hidden discoveries wait for you. take pleasure in lunch with considered one of Sydney's top perspectives at Manly Pavilion, stare upon marine existence via a glass-bottomed semisubmersible, or adventure the Daintree Rainforest; all together with your relied on trip spouse. Get to the guts of East Coast Australia and start your trip now!
Inside Lonely Planet East Coast Australia trip Guide:
- Colour maps and photographs all through
- Highlights and itineraries exhibit you the easiest technique to tailor your journey in your personal own wishes and pursuits
- Insider tips prevent time and cash and assist you get round like a neighborhood, heading off crowds and bother spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - together with hours of operation, cell numbers, web pages, transit assistance, and costs
- Honest reviews for all budgets - together with consuming, dozing, sight-seeing, going out, buying, and hidden gemstones that the majority guidebooks omit
- Cultural insights provide you with a richer and extra profitable commute adventure - together with background, politics, activities, landscapes, natural world, food, and wine
- Over ninety four local maps
- Useful features - together with Month-by-Month (annual pageant calendar), Your Reef journey, and East Coast Australia Outdoors
- Coverage of Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns, Byron Bay, the good Barrier Reef, Brisbane, Fraser Island, Whitsunday Island, Port Douglas, Blue Mountains, and extra
The ideal selection: Lonely Planet East Coast Australia, our so much complete consultant to East Coast Australia, is ideal for these making plans to either discover the pinnacle points of interest and take the line much less travelled.
- Looking for a consultant fascinated by Queensland and the good Barrier Reef? try out Lonely Planet's Queensland & the nice Barrier Reef guide for a complete examine all that every of those areas has to supply.
- Looking for extra vast assurance? try out Lonely Planet's Australia guide for a finished examine the entire nation has to supply, or Lonely Planet's notice Australia, a photo-rich advisor to the country's most well liked points of interest.
Authors: Written and researched via Lonely Planet, Regis St Louis, Jayne D'Arcy, Sarah Gilbert, Paul Harding, Catherine Le Nevez, Virginia Maxwell, Olivia Pozzan, and Penny Watson.
About Lonely Planet: all started in 1973, Lonely Planet has develop into the world's best commute advisor writer with guidebooks to each vacation spot on the earth, in addition to an award-winning site, a collection of cellular and electronic trip items, and a committed tourist group. Lonely Planet's project is to let curious visitors to event the area and to really get to the center of the locations they locate themselves in.
TripAdvisor tourists' selection Awards 2012 and 2013 winner in favourite trip advisor category
'Lonely Planet publications are, comfortably, like no other.' - manhattan Times
'Lonely Planet. it is on everyone's bookshelves; it is in each traveller's arms. it truly is on cellphones. it really is on the web. it really is in every single place, and it is telling complete generations of individuals tips to go back and forth the world.' - Fairfax Media (Australia)
By Dick Davis
A bus trip via Mexico, with shiny descriptions, and images of the event.
This "Eyewitness go back and forth advisor" to nice Britain deals particular highway finder maps giving entry to districts, streets and structures. establishing occasions, mobile numbers, costs and resort concepts are all coated. the data is revised every year and saved brand new.
DK Eyewitness shuttle advisor: best 10 London will lead you instantly to some of the best England's capital urban has to supply. even if you are looking for the issues to not omit on the best 10 points of interest, a relaxed position to stick, or the easiest nightspots, occasions, and eating places, this totally up to date advisor with pull-out map is the suitable pocket-sized companion.
The advisor is split through region, protecting Regent's Park and Marylebone, Kensington and Knightsbridge, Mayfair and St. James's, Bloomsbury and Fitzrovia, Soho and the West finish, Covent backyard, the town and Westminster, the South financial institution and Southwark — each one full of eating place experiences and suggestions for inns, bars, and locations to buy. depend on dozens of most sensible 10 lists, from the pinnacle 10 museums and actions for kids to the head 10 occasions and fairs. there is even a listing of the head 10 issues to avoid.
You'll locate the insider wisdom you must discover each nook of London with DK Eyewitness commute consultant: best 10 London and its pull-out map.